An Overview Of Admiralty And Maritime Law
With over 20 years experience working on ships and on shore with the Coast Guard I have a broad range of experience and knowledge of maritime and admiralty processes and laws.
Protecting Your Rights And Assets
Maritime and admiralty laws are unique and foreign to many attorneys. I have more than 20 years of Coast Guard experience, followed by more than 10 years of private law practice. In the Coast Guard, I was a chief of a regional examination center and a marine casualty investigator, in addition to work aboard ships. These experiences provided me with a deep insight into the matters associated with maritime law.
I can advise you on a wide range of maritime matters, including:
- Licensing issues
- The purchase or sale of watercraft
- Injury claims under the Jones Act
- Defense of charges of operating a boat while intoxicated
- Defense of positive drug tests
- Wrongful death while boating matters
My Admiralty And Maritime Practice
I handle a broad range of issues related to the use of the waterways in Northwest Ohio, including:
- Coast Guard Licensing Issues — I defend civilian merchant mariners whose Coast Guard licenses or MMDs are at risk from accusations of misconduct, negligence or other violations of the law in proceedings before administrative law judges. I also handle appeals of decisions by the Coast Guard, including initial license or MMD applications or upgrades.
- Boat and Watercraft Matters — I handle a wide range of legal matters for recreational boaters as well as merchant mariners, from the purchase or sale of watercraft to the defense of alleged violations of state or federal law, including the operation of watercraft while intoxicated.
- General Maritime Claims and Defenses — I will prosecute or defend other maritime claims, including injuries (Jones Act), accidents, cargo matters and wrongful death.
Decades Of Watercraft Experience
When you have a legal dispute involving the operation of watercraft on the Great Lakes, or if you are considering purchasing a boat or seeking a merchant license to sail on Lake Erie or other local waterways, it is in your best interest to work with an experienced attorney, one who knows the specialized rules that apply in admiralty and maritime matters.
Contact Me Today
At my office, Thom Cafferty Law Office, in Toledo, I handle a wide range of maritime and admiralty issues for clients throughout Northwest Ohio. I have decades of experience and extensive knowledge of the laws that apply to the operation of watercraft on the Great Lakes and other local waterways. Contact me to set up a free one-hour initial consultation or call 419-244-0169.